Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Saying Goodbye - AGAIN!

I couldn't quite figure out what was going on. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, so it took me a while - okay about 2 weeks. Things kept going bad - milk, meat, veggies... I just thought I wasn't looking that closely at the expiration dates... I started paying closer attention. When the meat spoiled in less then 12 hours, Dave stuck a thermometer in the fridge... It read 65º. Yep, our 24 year old fridge (17 cu. ft) bit the dust.
That began a 2 day frantic frenzy of shopping, comparing, more on-line comparing, and 2 trips to Lowes. We could have run all over town, making phone calls, but we were able to do comparision shoping online, and didn't want to waste the gas $$, plus we would have to pay for "out of town" delivery. By then I was down to fixing only stuff that we could put in the ice chest or freezer and I was telling the family "Cereal tonight. " We lost probably 3/4 of the stuff in our old fridge. What did we learn? To be more alert to the signs. Honestly, I wasn't sad to see it go, but it really didn't come at a great time.
The last time I went to Lowes to finalize my choice, I took Claire with me. She was like a girl in a clothing store!!! She sure helped make it more fun and I'm so glad I didn't miss out on the opportunity to share this with her. We found out we have many of the same ideas when it came to a fridge! I'm sure the guy thought we were nuts! They made us a priority and we had less than 2 hours to clean out the old one and make room for the new. Can you believe this is the first time I've had to buy or participate in buying a fridge? We had the same one the whole time I was growing up and mom just replaced it less than 10 years ago. It was fun, but I don't want to do it again anytime soon. I was so hoping the stove would go first! We're really just tickeled that things are cold, it's bigger (25.4 cu. ft) and it fit in the space, and we can get ice and water from the door!!! New kitchen toy! Guess I need to start cooking again!

4 comments:

shawnda said...

Congrats on the new fridge I'm jealous!!! I want a stainless steal it'd match my stove!!! That's neat though that you got to share the experience with Clarie. Can't wait to see it in person.

Flourchild said...

Hello and thank you so much for the sweet comment on the galette recipe. It was a fun dessert to try! Im baking bread and just made some 3 layer brownies today. Im on a baking spree lately!

Im so sorry to hear about your fridge, but so happy to see your new stainless steal one! It's gorgeous. I have only had one new refrigerator in my life and it was nothing fancy. We have sold and purchased 6 homes and they usually have a fridge in them. I swear it most be the month for broken appliances. Another TWD friends oven broke and than another had her fridge go out too. Not a great time with the price of living ..gas is so expensive, it makes me sick every time I fill up at the pump.

Well Im rambling on. I am happy to hear from you alway's!
Bless your day! Michelle

Aspiring Mom2three said...

Michelle,

I'd love to be one of your family members with all the yummy things you make! My husband complained one evening "What's wrong with using the same recipe more than once?!!" The rest of us at the table just smirked at him. They love trying new recipes! Thanks so much for stopping by. I thought of you recently when I saw a recipe for lemon something scones and I thought "Oh, I wonder if Michelle has made these?" Ü

Anonymous said...

Love your new fridge! I'm sure you will enjoy yours as much as I love mine. I had a little more notice on my fridge when I had to purchase a new one so I already had one picked out. Hope your luck doesn't flow to Oklahoma. I'm still paying for the new washer & dryer I had to purchase in December.