Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Works for Me Wednesday

Yesterday was bread day at our house, as I was baking bread for dinner.  The first was Potato Refrigerator Bread, which my family loves.  I've used a recipe from Bread World for years now and it always seems to work great. It was easy and fairly moist. just the really soft bread that the family loves to put butter and jelly on.

The second was Italian Hearth style French bread, using a recipe from my King Arthur Flour Company 200th Anniversary Cookbook that I've had for many years.  


Because I do not have Italian bread or Baguette Pans, I found that I can substitute heavy duty foil triple layered before forming my make-shift baguette pan. A quick call to Tracy to consult with, confirmed she did the same as well.  I continued, and it worked rather well, and the bread still turned out great and the first loaf was consumed in no time!   The yellow that you see in the bottom of my foil baguette pans is actually corn meal.
So even though I don't have the fancy tools, I can still turn out delicious hearth style french bread. I must say, the recipe I use literally takes all day.  I started at  9 a.m. and it was finally ready at 6 p.m.  Please don't let this scare you away from attempting to make traditional Hearth style bread.  It is the whole process of multiple risings that give it the classic French Bread.  I was also busy yesterday teaching the kids, doing laundry, and chasing the baby, so the preparation time could have been much shorter, but it worked out well by the time Honey walked through the door. 
 
 Now, while I don't make french bread like this but every once-in-a-while, Only exclaimed that I could make it everyday and she would be happy "Amazing!" she said!  This is what Works for Me!

No comments: