Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Works-For-Me Wendesday

I can't say that I love doing laundry, but it's not the chore it used to be. Oh, I still hate folding socks (thank you hubby for doing them), but I have to tell you about a few things that have made this necessity more enjoyable. First off, I have friend who introduced me to making my own laundry detergent (this is posted to the right, down a little) and second, I don't use fabric softener any more!!! I love it! I love a good challenge and Traci did this in the way of finder a better way to be frugal with fabric softener. Thanks to our local Linens N Things going out of business, I was wandering through the aisles and found these Dryer Balls. I was intrigued, but never-the-less, decided to try them. I shelled out the $8, put a load of laundry in the dryer and waited... No fabric softener (liquid or sheets). I LOVE them! My drying time is cut way down, my clothes are fluffy and soft, and thanks to the Lavender Essential Oil that I put in the wash, they smell great as well! Now several places online allude to the balls getting stuck in my clothes - may I add those little sheets don't care where they hide. I can't tell you all the times I've gone somewhere only to find a dryer sheet sticking out at the most inopportune time and oddest place! And the noise - can't really tell much of a difference in that. Now it says that you can use from 2-6 of these in your dryer and they last from 2-5 years... Is there that much of a savings??? KCBD TV did a test and they found that:
What about the cost savings to you? We put a calculator to it. Let's say you dry six loads of laundry a week. The cost to do that is roughly $100 per year. But, when you use the dryer balls and cut your time by 15%, you save $15. On top of that, you will not have to buy dryer sheets, at approximately $20 a year. A $35 savings over the next three years will give you a total savings of $105.
Where you might find them: Linens-N-Things (while they are still in business), Walgreens, Amazon, Ace Hardware, Target, and a few other places. While doing a search online, I found them as cheap as $6-7 and as expensive as $19. Frankly, I went with cheap, saved on shipping and took advantage of a store closing. Works for Me!

No comments: