Thursday, May 27, 2010

Things I Love Thursday - Sewing Tools


Whirrrrrr, whirrrrrrrr, whirrrrrr, click.  snip, click, whirrrrrrrrrr, rrrrrrrrrrrr, rrrrrrrrrrrrr...  

These have been familiar sounds this last week at our house, but last night, after ripping out, repositioning, and much mumbling, I finally finished the quilt top.  Through most all of my sewing projects, there are a few sewing tools that I rely on each time.  Most of them are basic, but still, I don't sew without them.

This is my ring pin cushion that I made years ago after seeing a similar one at a War Eagle Craft Fair.  Being the "crafty" person, I went home and custom make this one so I could wear it on my left hand so I could have access to my pin cushion when ever I need it.


My Seam Ripper - I have a love/hate relationship with this wonder tool.  While I hate to use it, because that means I've screwed up on something, but I love that it does it's job. 
Years ago, when I purchased my first serger, I quickly discovered that regular seam ripper makes the job of undoing mistakes a long and tedious process.  This is when I found my 2nd seam ripper made just for serging mistakes.  It looks like a surgeons scalpel, but do I love this tool!The special curved blade helps keep me from ripping into my material and focus on just the seams.

Since I started a rag quilt, I've discovered a Fiskar's 5" Easy Action Spring Micro-Tip scissors that save my hands from blisters and tiring out too quickly, plus the handles are very comfy! The orange button is a unique locking system that allows me to quickly lock the scissors shut because they are VERY sharp!  I've snipped my finger more than a few times.  Guess I need to buy some new kids band aids!

post signatureWhen it comes to cutting out squares and stuff for sewing, I really rely on my Olfa Rotary Mat, ruler with a lip (acting as a T-square to keep it straight on the mat without slipping off) and rotary cutter. I love the way it allows me to cut my time in half.  I'm all about time-savers!

If you want to learn about other things that people love, head on over to Things I Love Thursday!

1 comment:

Parenting in blue jeans said...

I wish I could sew! I have all these ideas and not stitch in me! Great post and it may just get me into a class.

Visiting from TILT