Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Love You Forever

When my kids were little, babies to even early elementary age, I loved rocking them. Their warm little bodies snuggling against mine, finding that comfy place in the day where little else mattered, but that moment. Most times you could find me singing softly to them - sometimes I would sing something made up on the spur of the moment - rhyming whatever came into my brain, but there are a few songs (past "Jesus loves you") that I used almost daily: "Tell me why", "You are my Sunshine," and "Love you forever" . "Mommy sing the special songs" would always bring those three melding into each other. Sometimes the kids would sing along or finish a line for me if I hesitated, but those were our songs. Even now, at this moment Youngest wandered in to give me a kiss and I let him listen to the author Robert Munsch sing the chorus and his face broke out in a cute smile of recognition "Hey I remember that song!!! You used to sing that to me!" One of my favorite lines in the book was "Sometimes his mother would say, "this kid is driving me CRAZY!" My kids are getting big now and they don't fit on my lap near as well as they used to. Their feet touch the floor and just them sitting on my lap can make my legs feel like they are falling off and be rendered useless; but on a rare occasion, when Youngest is sitting on my lap, it's late at night and all is quiet except the creaking of the recliner, you might just hear a whispered song meant breaking the stillness... ******************** I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always, As long as I'm living my baby you'll be. **********************

Tell me why the ivy twines, Tell me why the stars do shine, Tell me why the sky’s so blue, And I will tell you just why I love you.

Because God made the ivy twine Because God made the stars to shine, Because God made the sky so blue, Because God made you, that’s why I love you.

4 comments:

Lorie said...

I know that feeling....loving to snuggle with your precious babies and singing special songs. That post teared me up a little just thinking about kids growing up and how fast that happens. Someone asked me once what was the difference from when I had my first baby to when I had my fifth baby, and I told her that I just treasured every "baby" moment; because I know now how fast those "baby" moments are gone. Thanks for that sweet post honoring your precious children.

Unknown said...

that was one of my favorite books, too! It's so sweet...

Anonymous said...

I love "You are my Sunshine" I used to sing that song to my kids all the time!
Toni

Lorie said...

Thanks for praying for us, so far Mr Payne has been spared; but I'm still holding my breath for a few more days. I always appreciate your comments....you are an encourager to me as well. God Bless!