Monday, May 24, 2010

Dancing in the kitchen

There is something familiar and fun that happens when my kids get in the kitchen with me, particularly with Only.  When I start banging around pots and pan, the food is sizzling, or the bread is raising, a little dancing starts.

It all starts when she sashays into the kitchen with "Whatcha fixin" or "Mmmm, that smells good." Then before I know it, the radio magically comes on (usually to some country station or Air 1), and she's sidling up beside me with "Can I help?"  Somehow my quiet kitchen explodes with busy hands, music breaking the silence of my  thoughts, sometimes some toe tapping, or "I love this song!" Before I know it, she's taken over making biscuits, or preparing some other dish.  Somehow she knows just where I need help, or what to do and that's where the dancing is. 

It's not some two-step, hip-hop jazz, the cha-cha, the tango (though we do get in a tangle from time to time), Salsa (though we love homemade salsa), swing, or ballet.  It's more of a rhythm of movement of bodies working in time and together...  reaching, borrowing, side-stepping, occasionally dropping stuff, and creating while cooking.  I can tell you we would not get a "10" from Dancing with the Stars or So You Think You can Dance, but I don't really care.  For me, it's about the fun, laughter, creating, and memories. 

But truth be told, Only did confess that she likes to help because our rule is: If you cook, you don't have to clean up.   Oh well, we're having fun anyway!

post signature

No comments: