Friday, June 18, 2010

Feed Me Books Friday: Something for Dads

Photobucket
With Father's Day coming up, I searched my local library's shelves for some books just for Dads and I must say I was really disappointed.  There were plenty of books about Moms and Grandmas.  I finally found two books, one of which I will review this week.

 What Dads Can't DoAs I watched my kids when they were little, they believed there was NOTHING that Honey couldn't do, so I was curious when I saw  What Dads Can't Do by Douglas Wood.  In this delightful book we find a little dinosaur boy's perspective  of lots of things his dad "can't" do:  Read a book by himself, throw a ball really hard, holding on to their money, winning at checkers, and more.  I hope you'll pick up this book and maybe you'll think of some things that the Daddy in your life can't do.


"There are lots of things that regular people can do but dads can't.  Dads can't cross the street without holding hands. They can push, but they can't swing. When dads play hide-and-seek they always get found, but they have a hard time finding you.  Dads really need to be kissed good night at bedtime.  It's a wonder they make it through life at all! "
Someday Though this book is from a mother's perspectiveSomeday by Alison McGhe, could very well be from a dad as well.  This simple book with pen & ink illustrations and simple text sharing everyday moments that mark milestones in the girl's life.  This would be a great book for new parents.
"A mother's love leads to a mother's dream - every mother's dream - for her child to live life to its fullest." 
 It reminds me of the song Find Your Wings sung by Mark Harris, so I've included the video, if you'll indulge me. I'm not sure why I included this, because every time I hear it I get weepy.  This was a song that I think of each time I send my kids off on a mission trip or that they strike out on their own, discovering who they are and how God is going to use them.



If you'd like to find other great books written just for kids, head on over to The Adventure of Motherhood and check out more great reviews on more children's books!  

If you're still searching for a fantastic Father's Day gift for the special Dad in your life, head on over to Someday Crafts  and Stories by Me for creative ideas! 
post signature




1 comment:

Janna said...

That song was wonderful! I'd never heard it but the words are so powerful.

I'll be sharing a post by another blogger tomorrow titled I Run so You can fly which mirrors the sentiment of the song. It's so good I can't wait for people to read it.

Oops I forgot to a have a Father's Day theme. Thanks for covering that:)