Thursday, September 30, 2010

Silly Anxiousness


Lady guarding her food
Have you ever had an anxious moment?  Our dog, Lady does many times daily.  While it may look as if they are buddies, poor Lady is showing her anxiousness by guarding her food. Many times we will find her in this position, with her head beside her dish. See, Midnight recently began peeing in the dog dish.  Not sure what the reason, but anytime Lady sees the cat heading in the direction of her dish, she gets anxious. Can't really blame her - I wouldn't want someone peeing in my plate.  
 Sometimes I get anxious, and I'm "Lady like". There are things that I let get me out of whack - silly things, daily thing... 
I'm not sure about you, but when I get anxious about stuff, it's just that - stuff. It's stuff Jesus said He would take care of - you know the verse I'm talking about:
Psalm 55:22
Cast your burden upon the LORD and He will sustain you;

He will never allow the righteous to be shaken.
Do you have times that you are anxious?  The times that I'm anxious, it seems to ruin my attitude or I let it get hold of my day.  In the thick of those moments, they seem like a big deal, and  somehow, later, they're not as big as they seemed.  It doesn't take much to visit with someone and discover my situation may even look laughable - quite mild.  

Today, started out horrible with a disagreement between Youngest and I.  He said he didn't need to take his medication (laxative, vitamins, ADHD meds) because he was okay, but as I stood there looking at him, I thought "Yeah, and the reason we're having this conversation is...?"   It was a struggle, and even in the midst of this, I knew what was going on. It was like being on the outside looking in. 

Fast forward two hours - at the optometrist for a re-check on my new contacts, and I was talking to one of the office staff.  I whined and she listened and prayed for me!  Right then and there!  I was astounded. See, she's a single mom, who also has an ADHD son.  I asked her who was her support person, having kids isn't always a beautiful walk in the park, no matter how wonderful they are. She said she has to handle it herself.  It was then that God tapped me on the shoulder and I felt really silly.

Philippians 4:4  4Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice!
5Let your gentle spirit be known to all men. The Lord is near.

6Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.

7And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

8Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.

9The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.

 Some notes I have written in my Bible say: 
  • Rejoice - an outward sign of what is going on inside me
  • vs. 4 Celebrate God all Day 
  • vs. 6 Don't fret or worry - Let our petitions and praises shape my worries into prayers
  • vs. 7 that He displaces my worry
  •  vs. 8 authentic, compelling, gracious
 My morning was a bit of a failure. I didn't start my day off with Him, instead I focused on getting ahead of the rat race of the day.  Inwardly, I didn't have a spirit even close to graciousness or celebration.  I didn't shape my worries into prayers and I didn't allow Him to work in my moments and I was shaken. I'm so thankful that He has grace and forgiveness, for such a Mom as me. Because of this, I have another chance, another day, to give it up and not let Satan get my goat.   
post signature 

2 comments:

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

How sweet of the Lord, to send you encouragement through a single mom. Thanks, Lynnet, for this honest post, so full of truth. I, too, am glad that His mercies are new every morning.

Have a great weekend.

Fondly,
Glenda

Shelly said...

Poor Lady is right! Kinda funny to watch at times I bet.
Nice message on being anxious! Thanks for sharing