Wednesday, December 31, 2008

What I've learned

Cats often devise their own sets of rules that they think we should live by, and they may be quick to chastise us if we fail to adhere to these rules! Margaret Reister
It was difficult to feel vexed by a creature that burst into a chorus of purring as soon as I spoke to him. Philip Brown
These two kitties have been sworn enemies since the day Tex arrived at our home. Hissing, arched backs, barred claws, and cowering kitten has become an every waking hour common place. It has been more than a month, but they are slow making their way to becoming friends. The atmosphere is tolerable at least, but yesterday we saw spotted Midnight snuggled under a fresh warm load of laundry and Tex inches his way as close as he dared... It gave us a bit of hope. It's been a few weeks since I last posted and I've felt guilty, but this time has been spent with my family and I needed that. It's the last day of 2008 and I could spend the time reflecting on this past year, but when you're sick most of the year, time spent in doctor's appointment, having test done, etc. I'd rather not revisit it! I must say that I'm thankful for blogging. It has given me an outlet for writing, which I love, and a way to keep family and friends up on what is going on in our humble home. What have I learned through blogging?
  1. There are terrifically wonderful people out there that I've not met, but they've influenced and touched my life. They have challenged me to think deeper, care more, pray harder, love deeper, and listen. They pray, encourage, laugh, cry, and pray. Thank you!
  2. I've learned tons of handy household tips and recipes, and shared a few of my own: making my own laundry detergent (thanks Tracey), using vinegar in place of fabric softener,
  3. I've learned that after 42 years on this earth, I'm still working to find out who I am, face my fears, that doing something I'm uncomfortable with does not have to be a terrible experience. I'm finding that if I think I'm going to fail at something, I put it off... Isn't there a self help group for this??? I'm learning that I'm not the person that people assume I am, but I'm struggling to be real. I'm a little like the Velveteen Rabbit.
  4. I'm learning that's it's okay to say "No, I'm not taking on any more responsibilities outside my home", being honest is okay, and I should have had my deviated septum taken care of YEARS ago. If I only would have known how much better it would help me feel.
  5. It's okay to laugh and be silly, be human with your kids, but still, burping at the dinner table is taboo, even if some cultures deem it as a good sign that the food was good.
  6. A lack of planning on my children's part or the inability to write something down on the calendar does not constitute an emergency on my part.
  7. If we don't PLAN and write the time down to get together, the "We need to get together sometime" will never happen. We have a great year getting together with friends, even if it's over pizza. This is one investment we're so glad to make!
  8. I spend too much time on blogging and facebook!

2 comments:

Lorie said...

Happy New Year....it sounds like you know what's really important. I'm thankful for you and your blog.
God Bless You and Your Sweet Family!

Anonymous said...

Cats can be so interesting to watch. My sister had a developmentally-delayed kitten when we were younger. That cat would let her dress him up in baby clothes, and then she'd push him around in a doll stroller while he laid on his back, cross-eyed gazing at the world.:)

Glad you got to have a break and spend time with family.